Thursday, October 30, 2008

1. A brief summary of the seminar. Include any highlights for you – new information, a particularly useful exercise, a favorite moment. Be sure to identify the main historical themes and the core documents presented in the seminar.

Tom Doughton began the day by giving us a few handouts. They seem very interesting! I especially can't wait to share "The Romantic Story . . . " with my 5th grade class--they love that mushy stuff! Then Tom began a discussion of the reading "Jehovah and the Uncouth Wilderness". Since I am a newcomer to the grant, I hadn't heard the disappearing indian term before. I found that article to be interesting, reading what the English believed as they were taking the land and homes of the natives. I learned that the notion of the disappearing indian was one of the foundational myths of our country. Tom also discussed detribalization and enfranchisement, again something that I had not heard much about. I have begun to read in depth the papers Tom passed out about native people of the east from the revolution to removal. Our 5th grade curriculum covers that area, and I am finding quite a lot of info that I'll be able to use.

Dr. Alice Nash presented the terms ocular and specular--something we should always be thinking about as we teach history. Her powerpoint on the first Thanksgiving was interesting, and I hope to get a copy of it to use the images. Last year, we just touched upon Manifest Destiny in our curriculum. This year, I plan to use the information from Dr. Nash to discuss it more with my 5th graders.

After lunch, we broke into groups to do the Teach Back. I was a willing listener in my group, and received some great ideas that I will be able to use.



2. What questions did the seminar raise for you and how will you follow-up on those questions? Will you need to do further research – and if so, how will you approach that research and what sources are available to you?

I am overwhelmed with information! I'm sure I have loads of questions . . . not sure which questions I will focus on . . .



3. How would you use this material in the classroom?


So much of this information directly relates to our curriculum that it will be easy to slip it into the class! When we discuss the Purtians, I can incorporate parts of "The . . . Uncouth Wilderness". As I have said, the summaries we received from the revolution to removal will give me a better understanding of events regarding Native Americans that I can share with my class. I would like to use the information and artwork from Dr. Nash's powerpoint to consruct a lesson on the First Thanksgiving. Is that powerpoint available? Thanksgiving is coming fast! I received some great ideas from our break out group. When we learn about King Phillip's War, I'd like to use Wamsutta's suppressed speech at Plymouth (1970). I will be making loblollie this year!


4. How does the material presented in the seminar deepen your understanding of the relationship between representation and reality in the history of New England natives?

I didn't realize how much I didn't know and was never taught about Native Americans. I am thankful to be involved in this project to learn how to teach history more ocular than specular.

No comments:

Post a Comment